>Home >More Information >FAQ's >Q & A: Water Operations

Q & A: Water Operations

What are the Water Rates?:

City Residents                                                                                              Township Residents

Water . . . $4.86 per 1,000 gallons                                                                 Water . . . $5.70 per 1,000 gallons

Sewer . . . $8.72 per 1,000 gallons                                                                Sewer . . . $10.22 per 1,000 gallons

Ready-to-serve . . . $36.40 per month (standard)                                          Ready-to-serve . . . $42.52 per month (standard)

                                                                                                                      Buchanan Township Flat Rate (BT) . . . $4.17

Ready to Serve used by the resident to cover maintenance of the systems supporting customers and fixed business costs associated with management of that utility.


Is my meter broken?:

A meter will slow down and stop if it is not working. Meters do not speed up.


How do I read the meter?

The meter is either numbers or dials and the meter is read from left to right.


How could I have used so much water?

If a water reading is an actual read, the water used at your house flowed through your meter. Check for leaks!


How do I check for leaks?

Leaks unchecked can drip hundreds of gallons of water wastefully down the drain. A little detective work can catch these leaks easily. Check your toilets, faucets, outside taps and sprinkler systems.


Will you really shut my water off?

Yes. A shut off notice will be mailed to you the 20th of the month warning of this possibility.


If you shut my water off, do I owe any other charges?

Yes, we require full payment of the past due balance and $80.00 turn-off/turn-on charge.


Do you offer any payment/extension agreements?

Yes, Please call City Hall Water Billing, 269-695-3846, ext. 11, BEFORE your water is shut off  to make arrangements if your situation is critical. If your water is shut off for non payment we cannot offer payments/extensions.


If I have a pool, can I get a credit for filling up my pool in the spring?

Yes, you are eligible to receive a credit for the sewer portion. You must call our office prior to beginning the pool fill process and give us the starting meter read number. After you have completed filling your pool, call us back with the meter read number. We will credit your next water billing according to the usage calculated from the meter readings. ONLY ONE POOL FILL ADJUSTMENT ALLOWED PER YEAR.


Who should I call if I'm moving?

Please remember to call our office at 695-3846 to schedule a final reading which will generate a final billing on the next regular scheduled billing cycle.