>Home >More Information >FAQ's
Q & A: Voting and Elections
With the passage of Proposition 3 in November 2018, elections laws have changed. Here's what you need to know...
- The deadline for registering to vote has changed from 30 days to 15 days (for methods of registration other than in person at the local clerk's office).
- Voters may register within 15 days of an election by visiting their local Clerk's office.
- Voters may register on Election Day at their local Clerk's office.
- Voters no longer need a reason to obtain an absentee ballot.
- Clerk's will have extra office hours available the weekend before an election for in person voter registration
How do I verify my registration information and view my ballot?
To view your registration information and view your ballot, you can go to the Secretary of State Website and fill in the proper information.
What are the requirements to vote?
- You must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Michigan
- Must be at least a 30 day resident of the city by election day
- You must be 18 years of age by Election Day
How do I register to vote?
- You may register to vote at your local Secretary of State Office (License Branch), your City, Township or Village Clerk’s Office, or at the County Clerk’s office,
- or email Brenda Hess, City Clerk with your questions
- Click here for Voter Registration Form
Where do I vote?
- The City of Buchanan has two (2) Precincts:
- Precinct #1 is at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail
- Precinct #2 is at the Redbud City Center, 131 N. Oak Street
- If you are not sure which precinct is yours, you can look on your voter identification card or call the city clerk at 269-695-3844, ext. 17
I’ve moved, where do I vote?
- If you’ve recently moved, you must be sure to fill out a registration form for your new precinct.
- You will receive a new voter registration identification card by mail.
- If you are unable to do this at least 30 days before the election date, you must vote in your old precinct.
- If you have moved within the City, you can simply call the City Clerk with your address change information and your file will be updated.
- When you change your driver’s license at the Secretary of State’s Office, you can change your voter registration as well.
What time are the polls open?
Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
How can I be an Election Inspector?
- If you are interested in working an election, contact the Clerk’s Office at 269-695-3844, ext. 17 for an application
- or download an Election Inspector Application and submit it to the Clerk’s office at 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan Michigan 49107
- To contact the Clerk via email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I qualify for an Absent Voter Ballot?
- Anyone can receive an absentee ballot. No reason needed.
How can I get an absentee ballot?
- Contact the Clerk at email@example.com