January 12 2009 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
January 12, 2009
The regular scheduled meeting of the City Commission was held at Buchanan City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan, Monday, January 12, 2009. Mayor Clark called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
The Pledge was recited by all in attendance. No Invocation was heard.
Commissioners present: Barbara Clark, Carla Cole, Patricia Moore, Warren Weaver, Jennifer Singleton
Commissioners absent: none
Staff present: City Manager Meg Mullendore and Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present: 16 including 1 reporter
After explanation from the clerk of the late agenda item request submittal, Moore moved, seconded by Cole to amend the agenda to include Banner Placement Form from BYSBA as I. under the Consent Calendar. Roll call vote carried unanimously. Cole moved, seconded by Moore to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
• Agenda as amended
• Minutes: Regular Meeting December 22, 2008
• Acknowledged Work Session Summary December 22, 2008
• Checks 56409 to 56508 in the amount of $189,685.74
• Resolution 2009.01/01, Establishment of Meeting Time for Regular City Commission Meetings
WHEREAS, the Charter of the City of Buchanan, Michigan, provides in part as follows at Section 6.1:
“Regular Meetings: The Commission shall hold regular meetings on the second and fourth Mondays of each month; it shall provide by resolution for the exact time and place of its meetings.”; and
WHEREAS, the Buchanan City Commission voted unanimously at a regular public meeting, on December 22, 2008 that it would be in the best interest and for the common welfare of the City to commence the regular meetings of the City Commission at 7:00 p.m.;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Commission that regular City Commission meetings from this day forward shall commence at 7:00 p.m. commencing on January 12th, 2009.
• Notice of Meetings for the City of Buchanan City Boards During 2009
• Mid Year Budget Amendment in Major, Local, & Street Repair & Maintenance for Fiscal 2008-09
• Mid Year Budget Amendment in General Fund for Fiscal 2008-09
• Banner Placement Form for Buchanan Youth Softball Baseball Association Little League Sign-ups
After request from the Mayor, no public comments regarding any items on the agenda were heard.
The Mayor then presented certificates and checks to recipients for Downtown and Resident Holiday Decoration Display Contest. Noted that the staff would forward the certificates and checks to those not in attendance. She thanked the monetary donors for making the holiday program possible and greetings were shared.
Mullendore explained the newspaper article regarding the Southeast Berrien County Landfill (SEBCL) and the request for authorization for her to sign the letter addressed to Richard Haigh, Chairman of the Southeast Berrien County Landfill (SEBCL) as presented. She reported that Buchanan Township Board voted unanimously to approve the letter signed by Township Supervisor Jane Mitchell. Moore asked for copies of the letter and article to go to other members of the SEBCL Board and Supervisors/Mayors of the respective municipality owner. Weaver moved, seconded by Cole to authorize the City Manager to sign the letter to Richard Haigh, Chairman of the SEBCL as presented and recommended. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
After request from the Mayor, no public comments were heard.
City Manager Comments:
• Goal Setting Session Feb. 7th, 8:00 a.m. to 2; folder distributed with Friday packet
• Thanks to sponsors for making the decorating contest a reality and thanks to participants
• Tom Jolly, 107 E. Front invites Commissioners to Open House
• Resident called and thanked the city for snow plowing, noticed difference when getting out of City
• Putting together bid specs for trash removal, Reliable did not request extension
• MML Capital Conference coming up, recommends commissioner attendance
• Will be gone February 3rd through 6th to City Manager Conference
• Acknowledged DPW for snow clearing
• Condolences to Mark & Heather Bachman on loss of mother
• Thanks to participants of decorating contest
• Kudos to DPW
• Happy Birthday Commissioner Weaver
• Commends City crews for clearing snow, can see big difference with South Bend and Mishawaka
• Thanks to community for decorating
• Happy Birthday Commissioner Weaver
• Condolences to Mark Bachman on loss of mother-in-law and Commissioner Singleton on loss of uncle
• Enjoyed judging the holiday decorating contest within the City and was a difficult decision for awards
Being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 7:21 p.m.
Gladys Bybee, CMC-City Clerk Barbara J. Clark, Mayor