August 10 2009 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
August 10, 2009
The regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan, Monday, August 10, 2009. Mayor Clark called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
The Pledge was recited by all in attendance. No Invocation was heard.
Commissioner Norton read the biography and the Mayor presented the Citizen Appreciation Recognition Award to Mae Proud.
Commissioners present: Barbara Clark, Carla Cole, Patricia Moore, William Norton, Warren Weaver
Commissioners absent: None
Staff present: City Manager Meg Mullendore and City Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present: 30 visitors
Norma Ferris opposed the proposed Fireworks Permit. Randall Peart suggested reorganization of the agenda to include Status updates from the City Manager under Unfinished Business, City Manager Comments, or Reports to discuss progress/status of ongoing projects.
After request from Commissioner Weaver to remove item G. from the Consent Calendar and place it under New Business for discussion and explanation from the clerk that a check was voided and one needed to be added (changing the total amount), Cole moved, seconded by Norton to remove G. Introduce and Call a Public Hearing for Ordinance _____.08/2009, Amending Chapter 14, Building and Building Regulations, Article VII – Private Swimming Pools, Sec. 14-261. Safety Precautions; Fence, Enclosures (Ordinance on file in the City Clerks Office) from the consent calendar and include it as A. under New Business and void check #57766 and add check #57807, changing the total amount by $375. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
• Agenda with Amendments
• Minutes: Regular Meeting July 27, 2009
• Checks 57696 to 57807 in the amount of $1,931,428.05
• Re-appointment to the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority: Shelley Klug as Designated Economic Developer for a three year term ending 2012
• Appoint Kelly Catalano to the Fine Arts Council for a two year term ending in 2011 as recommended by the Fine Arts Council
• Appoint Jonathon Corwin to the Fine Arts Council for a two year term ending in 2011 as recommended by the Fine Arts Council
• Budget Amendment, General Fund-City Commission, City Clerk, City Manager
• Request from Chamber of Commerce for Fire Works Display during Old Mill Festival
• Banner Placement at 403 E. Front Street for the period from August 11, 2009 through August 17, 2009 for American Legion Post 51 Annual Jack Glavin Benefit Ride
Paul Malewski, Sales Marketer reported on the Senior Living Facility proposed for 1207 N. Redbud Trail, while Bharat Kothari, CEO of BP Convergence Group, LLC. distributed the presentation for the Facility and Independent-Assisted-Alzheimer Clinic to Commissioners and Manager. Kothari introduced the project team from Revere Healthcare, Urban Green LLC., and Premier Contracting Group and explained the project in detail (1-2 years to complete). Berrien County Treasurer Brett Witkowski summarized the Land Bank Program that had been discussed with the City in a previous meeting and invited all to a presentation later in the week for the partnership.
Mullendore explained the current regulations regarding Building and Building Regulations, Private Swimming Pools, Safety Precautions; Fence, Enclosures and the proposed ordinance amendment. After brief deliberation, Weaver moved, seconded by Norton to leave the ordinance as is. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
No Public comments were heard.
City Manager comments were heard.
Commissioners’ comments were heard.
Cole moved, seconded by Weaver to go into closed session at 7:45 p.m. to consider material exempt from discussion or disclosure by state or federal statute [15.268 Sec. 8. (h)].
The Mayor reconvened the regular meeting at 7:58 p.m. with no decisions made in closed session.
Cole moved, seconded by Weaver to adjourn the meeting at 7:59 p.m. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Gladys Bybee, CMC-City Clerk Barbara J. Clark, Mayor