October 9 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
October 9, 2006
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, October 9th and called to order by the City Clerk at 8:01 p.m. due to the absence of the Mayor and Mayor Pro Tem. Motion by McGuire, seconded by Arbanas to select Commissioner Moore to Chair the meeting. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
The pledge was recited by all in attendance. No Invocation was heard.
Commissioners present: Alberta Arbanas, MarLon McGuire, Patricia Moore
Commissioner absent: David Hagey, Earl Scanlon III
Staff present included City Manager Meg Mullendore and Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present: Buchanan Fest Chairperson Alice Kring, Common Committee Chairman Jack McClellan, McCoy's Creek Trail Representative Lloyd Miller and 14 visitors present including 2 members of the media
Arbanas moved seconded by McGuire to amend the Consent Calendar by canceling the Closed Session on the Agenda, remove scheduling a Work Session under New Business and amending the minutes to reflect the proper date in the header on page 2,3,& 4. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
Arbanas moved, seconded by McGuire to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote unanimous.
- Agenda as amended
- Minutes as amended: Regular Meeting September 25, 2006
- Checks 51192 to 51275 in the amount of $294,184.50
- Appointment of Phil Hempel to be cross seated to the DDA/TIFA and Andrews Farm TIFA for a four (4) year term ending 2010
- Removal of Cathy Greenway as a member of the DDA/TIFA and Andrews Farm TIFA due to numerous absences
- Resolution 2006.10/32, A Certified Signature Resolution for MDOT Master Agreement No. 2007-0181
WHEREAS, the City of Buchanan has the authority to contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation for state and/or federal funds for passenger transportation related services; and,
WHEREAS, the City of Buchanan does herby approve Master Agreement No. 2007-0181,
NOW, THERFORE, be it resolved that the City Commission of the City of Buchanan be authorized and directed to execute said agreement for and on behalf of the City of Buchanan.
RESOLUTION DECLARED ADOPTED.
- Discharge of Economic Development Agreement with Jack Post Corp.
- Discharge of Economic Development Agreement with Golden Farm Candies
- Certify Delinquent Township Water and Sewer Bills to the 2006 Winter Tax Roll
Alice Kring recognized representatives from Miss Buchanan, Buchanan Art Center, Buchanan College Club, and McCoy's Creek Trail for their volunteer services during Buchanan Fest. She also acknowledged BYSBA, Safe Shelter and Buchanan High School Girls Softball whom were not in attendance. All were given monetary donation raised from Buchanan Fest.
Jack McClellan gave the Common Report for 2006; 9 concerts, 7 Stop, Lunch & Listen Programs, and two (2) Movies at the Common. He was pleased to announce a full board of nine volunteer members and beginning review for the 2007 Season.
Lloyd Miller reported that the asphalt was down on the trail thanks to Rick Smigielski and City Workers. He further explained that Phase 1 was nearly complete and Phase 2 beginning. He thanked the Commission for their support, announced the dinner dance fundraiser, and asked for reservations.
Mullendore reviewed the purpose of the Farmers' Market Lease Agreement between the City and DDA and announced approval from the DDA at their October meeting. She explained the two amendments of $1.00 per year fee and the City will assume the financial responsibilities for the utilities. Arbanas moved, seconded by McGuire to approve the Land Lease Agreement with the Downtown Development Authority as reviewed and submitted. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
Mullendore summarized the requests from the Buchanan Library Board to relocate the electrical box owned by the City that is presently encroaching on their property and their request for the City to release its option on the second floor of the Library; having secured the Golden Farm Candies building. She explained the electrical box issue due to the library's wishes to construct a patio area and outdoor reading oasis; modeling after the landscaping done in the alleyway between Redbud Insurance and the B & W Inn. After shared discussion, Arbanas moved, seconded by McGuire to direct the City Manager to meet with the Library Board and negotiate an amicable solution for both parties regarding the location of the electrical box as well as to grant the City Manager the authority to release the option on the second floor if a favorable agreement could be reached. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
Volunteer Farmers' Market Master Phil Hempel distributed a four (4) page Proposed Promotional Campaign for the fourth quarter of 2006 for the Farmers' Market and explained his request for the Advertising Budget. He announced new Market hours on Saturday only 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., explained the Promotional campaign, and confirmed to a January report from Farmers' Market Board. After shared discussion, thanks, and debate between Commission, Hempel, and public, McGuire moved, seconded by Arbanas to approve a $3,000. Advertising budget for the Farmers' Market as submitted, with a forthcoming budget amendment. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
Mullendore reported that the City and DDA were approached by Allan Robandt (114 E. Front) with a request to remove all planters in Mill Alley next to his building that allegedly caused damage at said building. She reviewed the suggestions submitted by Public Services Director (PSD) Smigielski and all discussed the three possible solutions. Arbanas moved, seconded by McGuire to select the third option to remove the plants and soil from the planter, secure with visqueen liner, and reconstruct as presented by PSD for a short term solution. Roll call vote carried unanimously. All shared further discussion regarding other planters, landscaping, costs and other businesses involved with the alley. McGuire moved, seconded by Arbanas to table any further discussion pending further review and a Work Session held. Roll call vote carried unanimously.
Cathy Hempel announced and urged attendance to "Meet the Candidates" at the Senior Center for County and City Candidates.
- Thanks to City Clerk for dedication during sick leave
- Concern for injured DPW mechanic and asked public for compassion and patience during fall and winter season (crew less one person)
- 180 hours work on the Trail from city workers (estimated $25,000 savings)
- Announced upcoming event dates and times
- Congratulations to Dr. Patricia Moore for receiving Podiatrist of the Year Award for Indiana
- Congratulations to Smigielski for volunteer work with the community of Grand Beach
- Thanks and Congratulations to Lions Club, Trail Committee, and Tony Mayberry at the Tin Shop
- Absence from the next meeting
- Thanks to all well wishers for their concern with her pregnancy complications
- Recognition to Dick Proud for his hard work with McCoy's Creek Trail
- Congratulations to sports teams; local and otherwise
- Volunteering pays off big, thanks to all
- Commendation to Mullendore for taking City Manager position in representing City of Buchanan
- She was honored to receive the Dr. T.H. Clarke Achievement Award and explained the Indiana Podiatric Medical Association
- Urged attendance to McCoy's Creek Trail Dinner Dance
McGuire moved seconded by Arbanas to adjourn the meeting at 9:33 p.m. Voice vote carried.