November 13 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
November 13, 2006
At 7:45 p.m. the City Clerk presented the Oath of Office to newly elected officials, Barbara Clark, Carla Cole, and Jennifer Harrington. Greetings were shared
Mayor Pro Tem Hagey called the public hearing to order at 8:00 p.m. The City Manager verified that no written comments were received and summarized the proposed amendments to the Amendments to the Development Plan and Tax Increment Financing Plan. The Mayor requested public comments regarding the Plans. Being no comments heard, the Mayor Pro Tem closed the hearing at 8:03 p.m.
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, November 13th and called to order by Mayor Pro Tem Hagey at 8:03 p.m.
Hagey moved seconded by Clark to nominate and appoint Dr. Patricia Moore as Mayor. No other nominations were heard. Roll call vote unanimous.
Cole moved seconded by Harrington to nominate and appoint Hagey as Mayor Pro Tem. No other nominations were heard. Roll call vote unanimous.
All in attendance recited the Pledge. Reverend Dave Mitchell, Faith Victory Fellowship gave the Invocation.
Commissioner Clark read the biography of resident Lyle Sumerix and Mayor Moore presented Mr. Sumerix with a Citizen Appreciation Recognition Award.
Commissioners present:Barbara Clark, Carla Cole, David Hagey, Jennifer
Harrington, Patricia Moore
Commissioners absent: None
Staff present:City Manager Meg Mullendore, Fire Chief and Building
Inspector Warren Weaver, Treasurer Juli O'Bryant, Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present:31 visitors present including 3 members of the media.
McCoy's Creek Trail Chairman Richard Proud congratulated the new commissioners, Mayor, Mayor Pro Tem and Mr. Sumerix. Proud then presented a visual aid map of phase two of the McCoy's Creek Trail and explained.
Hagey moved, seconded by Harrington to amend the Consent Calendar to add to the Agenda, under New Business, Letter of Understanding Authorizing a Donation of Sick Time. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Harrington moved, seconded by Cole to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
- Agenda as amended
- Minutes: Regular Meeting October 23, 2006
- Checks 51375 to 51498 in the amount of $322,370.08
- Corporate Authorization Resolution from Chemical Shoreline Bank, Accounts
- Payable that allows new commissioners to sign checks
- Corporate Authorization Resolution from Chemical Shoreline Bank, Payroll Account that allows new commissioners to sign checks
Chief and Building Inspector Warren Weaver distributed the statistical report from January 2006 to date for both Fire and Building Departments. Weaver summarized the reports while all reviewed and discussion was shared.
Treasurer Juli O'Bryant welcomed new commissioners and reported on the winter tax cycle, dog licenses collection, preliminary work on the future city budget, and several types of payment for tax and utility bills. Discussion was shared.
Plante Moran Partner Sharon Vargo reported on the 2005-2006 Fiscal Year Financial Audit Statement. She congratulated the Commission on a Clean Audit and commended them on their sound responsible financial management. Audit documents were reviewed as distributed previously to commissioners. Vargo further explained expenditure control and receipt of revenue. She cautioned the commission on over spending due to loss of state revenue sharing; both past and future. Vargo summarized the letter of comments and recommendations and cautioned the Commission on the decreases with state revenue sharing. She thanked the staff for their assistance.
Mullendore summarized that AARP work force program to place members in the community was discontinuing, thus the position held by Dorothy Harris at City Hall would be ending. She explained the valuable asset Harris has been and recommended the Budget Amendment for the Addition of a Part-Time (possibly temporary) Deputy Clerk. After brief discussion, Cole moved, seconded by Hagey to approve the budget amendment as presented. Roll call vote carried by majority. YEA: Moore, Hagey, Cole. NAY: Harrington, Clark
Mullendore explained the necessity for upcoming Work Sessions (i.e. Teen Center, Municipal Building, Capital Improvements, etc.) and requested Commissioners to select two dates to schedule. November 20 at 7:00 p.m. was confirmed with others to be scheduled at a later date.
Mullendore explained, while Commissioners reviewed a proposed Letter of Understanding from the Police Officers Labor Council for other police officers to contribute their sick time that would afford new police officer Mike Troup to take off time when his baby is born. Clark moved, seconded by Cole to approve the Letter of Understanding as presented. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Twins Matthew and Jayson Strozewski requested permission from the Commission to stand on the corner of Days Avenue (sidewalk) with their father to offer a "Hugs for Food Drive" with all proceeds going to Redbud Area Ministries (RAM). Harrington moved, seconded by Clark to approve the request as presented. Roll call vote carried unanimous. Applause was heard.
Sheila Daly distributed and read Letters of Commendation to the City Commission and Buchanan Area Recreation Board for ongoing endorsement of the trail and Special Acknowledgment to Director of Public Services Rick Smigielski to be included in his personnel file (Both letters signed by entire Trail Committee members). The Mayor asked the City Manager to place the commendation in the file and greetings were shared. High School students, Lindsey Borre and Ashley Pointer explained their Exit Project for Law Class and announced their volleyball game fundraiser with proceeds going to the Trail.
- Welcome to new Commissioners
- Look forward to seeing Buchanan progress and move forward
- Encouraged the commission to attend the MML to attend day long seminar with herself and city clerk
- Requested commissioner review of board vacancy to volunteer
- A new feature to the City Newsletter Commissioners Corner and asked for a volunteer
- Upcoming event dates/times
- Pleased to be on the Commission
- Commended the Trail Committee
- Commended the twins
- Holiday Scavenger Hunt the Saturday after the Holiday Lighting Ceremony December 2nd with the Farmers Market and DDA
- Farmers' Market Basket giveaway, urged sign up
- Commended Trail Committee
- Personally thanked Joe, Lon, Jeanne and Flo for their past service and hard work to move Buchanan forward
- 4th Commission he has served with and best wishes to Mayor and commissioners
- Thanked the Attorney and City Manager for the synopsis
- Pleased to see Reverend Mitchell present after being ill
- Congratulated Lyle Sumerix and Trail Committee
- Looking forward to working with City Staff again
- Congratulated new commission members
- Grateful and honored to be Mayor
- Assured to keep moving forward and to keep "Life is Better Here"
Cole moved, seconded by Harrington to go into Closed Session at 9:09 p.m. to review 10-23-06 minutes, acquisition of property. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
The Mayor reconvened the meeting at 9:13 p.m. with no action taken in closed session.
Moore moved, seconded by Hagey to approve the minutes for the acquisition of property as reviewed during closed session. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Cole moved, supported by Harrington to adjourn the meeting at 9:13 p.m. Voice vote carried unanimous.