March 27 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
MARCH 27, 2006
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, March 27 and called to order by Mayor Scanlon at 8:38 p.m.
The pledge was recited by all in attendance. Reverend Nancy Becker, First Presbyterian Church gave the Invocation.
Commissioners present: Alberta Arbanas, David Hagey, MarLon McGuire, Earl Scanlon III
Commissioner absent: Patricia Moore
Staff present included City Manager Meg Mullendore and City Clerk Gladys Bybee.
Guests/Visitors present: Alice Kring, Joint Arts & Historical District Committee Chairwoman and Chamber of Commerce President 10 visitors, 2 being Press
Sheila Daley, 801 Ottawa Court, expressed support for Buchanan Floral for the downtown plantings, as past practice was wonderful. Stella Proud was concerned about Dial-A-Ride charging Senior Citizens for both pick up and return. The Mayor replied that the city is currently in discussion with Executive Director Judy Phillips who also welcomes comments. She also noted the street lights out on Oak Street at the Front Street intersection
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to amend the Consent Calendar by including check number 49978 in the amount of $169.06 and correcting the date for the street closure to April 29th, not May 29th. Roll call vote unanimous. Hagey moved, seconded by Arbanas to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote unanimous.
- Agenda as amended
- Minutes: Regular Meeting March 13, 2006
- Checks 49906 to 49978 in the amount of $118,559.78
- Acceptance of City Manager submission of recommended 2006-2007 Fiscal Year Budget to the City Commission as applicable to Charter Section 9.2
- Destruction of 2 accuvote tabulators and removal to the Berrien County Landfill
- Five Street Closures for Soap Box Derby; April 29, May 13, August 26, September 16, Oct. 7
- Resolution 2006.03/13, supporting local control of Cable Franchising (attached)
- Resolution 2006.03/14, funding support for the Joint Arts & Historical District(attached)
Alice Kring thanked the Commission for supporting the Joint Arts and Historical Committee Budget for Event year 2007. She explained the original development of the group, the benefits of the joint effort and communications, and a five year plan forthcoming. She further announced the 2006 events for the Pears Mill, Tin Shop Theatre, and The Common. All discussed including the Farmers' Market into the Joint Committee.
Alice Kring reported the Chamber of Commerce ideas for Buchanan Fest is adding an adult beverage tent, fire works display, and a motorcycle cruise in. She distributed printed ideas of a logo for the Buchanan Fest for Commissioners to review. Discussion included having the beverage tent on the east side of the Tin Shop in gravel lot, alcohol within 500 feet of a religious organization, and liability. Commissioner comments/ opinions were voiced. McGuire moved seconded by Arbanas to allow Buchanan Fest to have an adult beverage tent with the rest falling into place. YEAS: McGuire, Arbanas. NAYS: Hagey, Scanlon. Motion failed. The Commission requested that the Buchanan Fest bring back a formal proposal for the three new events.
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to award proposal for "Downtown Plantings" to Buchanan Floral Co. & Greenhouse, LLC not to exceed $3,000. Roll call vote carried unanimous. A community planting day was discussed.
Don Trull, 302 W. Fourth Street was opposed to the sidewalk obstruction ordinance as several streets are without sidewalks and a house out to the street (no room for a sidewalk). Snow not the only obstruction. Dale Dailey, 802 Ottawa suggested limited amount of beverages and more expense to fire works. Stella Proud opposed the adult beverage tent and reminded all about what happened in the past. Kathy Kingery stated her neutral opinion with the beer tent and reported serving on the Old Fashioned Labor Day Board. She noted the beer tent brought in numerous persons and raised a lot of money into the City.
- Review, comment and return draft mission statement for development of formal resolution.
- Mayors Exchange on Wednesday May 17th in Dowagiac
- Packet of information about Dial-A-Ride including financial
- Quarterly Newsletter ready to go out
- Website hacked, firewall outdated. Web Designer review
- Future event dates/times
- Congratulations to Police Dept. for resolving the issue at Buchanan High School
- Commendation to PD on School issue
- Forthcoming blood drives
- Thanked Helen Kimbrell for positive feedback
- Opinions sometimes from constituents
- Pleased with response from Governor concerning the state revenue
- Serve on Commission because they care and would like to hear opinions of the beverage tent and need for input from organizations and citizens. Urged to hear communication by regular mail, email, in person, or telephone.
Agreed with Dave and urged contact.
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to go into Closed Session to review closed session minutes at 9:24 p.m.
The Mayor reconvened the meeting at 9:25 p.m. with no action taken during Closed Session.
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to approve the March 13, 2006 minutes from City Manager Evaluation. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
McGuire moved seconded by Hagey to adjourn the meeting at 9:26 p.m. Voice vote carried unanimous.