June 26 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
JUNE 26, 2006
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, June 26th and called to order by Mayor Scanlon at 8:00 p.m.
All in attendance recited the Pledge. Reverend Sean Kidd, Buchanan Christian Church gave the Invocation.
Commissioners present: Alberta Arbanas, David Hagey, Marlon McGuire, Patricia Moore, Earl Scanlon III
Commissioner absent: none
Staff present included City Manager Meg Mullendore and Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present: Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Services (SMCAS) Director Marlene Beach and Buchanan Dial-A-Ride Director Judy Phillips and 6 visitors present including 2 reporters
Hagey moved, seconded by Arbanas to approve the Consent Calendar as submitted. Roll call vote unanimous.
- Minutes: Regular Meeting June 12, 2006
- Checks 50452 to 50546 in the amount of $136,061.56
- Appoint Mary Nixon to the Common Committee for a four year term
- Reappoint Ralph McDonald, Carla Cole, and Tammie Herrman to another four year term through 2010
- Reappoint Liz Miller and Jack McClellan to the Buchanan Common Committee for another four year term through 2010
- Reappoint Lon McGuire to the Joint Sewer/Water Board for a term through 2009
- Reappoint Ralph McDonald, Sharon Tyler, and Meg Mullendore to the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority for a three year term through 2009
- Reappoint James Desenberg to the Zoning Board of Appeals through 2009
- Reappoint Jeff Garmire and David Hagey to the Construction Board of Appeals for another three year term through 2009
- Reappoint Richard Wonocott to the Plan Commission for another three year term through 2009
Director Judy Phillips announced the new phone number for Buchanan Dial-A-Ride and explained that buses are housed and maintained in the Berrien Springs Office. She announced she will be retiring her position as Dial-A-Ride Director and announced the new contact, Manager Denise Kemp who operates Berrien Bus. Discussion and Greetings were shared.
Marlene Beach reported on the process of research to change the Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws of the Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Services. Discussion/questions were shared between Commission and Beach. Arbanas moved seconded by Moore to approve the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws as submitted and recommended. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Friends of Oak Ridge Cemetery Chairman Lyle Sumerix announced that Oak Ridge Cemetery had been recently vandalized and Friends will be repairing the damage. He reported that Friends were working on a "Reward Process" and the Mayor requested that the City Manager review community service options and parenting responsibility with the Prosecuting Attorney. Ron Bennett presented the bronze sign in memory of "The Old Burying Ground", Buchanan's first cemetery (Kathryn Park 1844-1890s). Discussion was shared.
- Thanks to local businesses for donations and time and in receipt of positive remarks and comments from Mayor's Exchange
- Thanks to Express 1 and FAPCO for personal tour during Mayor's Exchange
- Professional Wrestling at Buchanan Fest
- Congratulations Larry Money for being Number 1 Recruiter
- Legion Motorcycle Group sponsoring Steak Fry
- Concerned about crooked street signs
- Enforcement needed for loud music from vehicles
- Requested that Public Services Director Rick Smigielski deliver the weir program to the Preservation Society
- Thanks to City of Dowagiac for Mayors' Exchange visit
- Thanks to Chamber of Commerce for Community Wide Garage Sale
- Thanks to Toni Mayberry for directing the Velveteen Rabbit at the Tin Shop
- Upcoming Redbud Challenge Run
- Commendation to staff for hard work with organizing Mayors' Exchange and thanked businesses
- Congratulations to Arbanas on her performance at the Tin Shop
- Spoke positive about Dowagiac visit to Buchanan for Mayors' Exchange
- Congratulations to Girl's Softball for going to State
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to adjourn the meeting at 8:44 p.m. Voice vote carried.