February 13 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
FEBRUARY 13, 2006
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, February 13 and called to order by Mayor Scanlon at 8:00 p.m.
The Pledge was recited by all in attendance. Reverend Tom Fox, Portage Prairie United Methodist Church gave the Invocation.
Mayor Scanlon presented former Commissioner Flora King with a plaque in appreciation of her tenure with the City Commission. She spoke briefly and greetings were shared.
Commissioners present: Alberta Arbanas, David Hagey, MarLon McGuire, Patricia Moore, Earl Scanlon III
Commissioner absent: None
Staff present included City Manager Meg Mullendore, Police Chief Bill Marx, Police Officer Carmen Bovo and City Clerk Gladys Bybee.
Guests included Glen Carpenter, RAM Representative along with 9 visitors present, 2 being Press.
Hagey moved, seconded by Arbanas to amend the Agenda to include, under New Business: Consideration to Authorize the City Manager to endorse the Request Documents to Berrien County Economic Development. Roll call vote unanimous.
Moore moved seconded by McGuire to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
- Agenda as amended
- Minutes of Regular Meeting February 1, 2006
- Checks 49576 to 49694 in the amount of $187,967.04
- Appoint Valerie Phillips as a member of the Downtown Development Authority, Downtown Tax Increment Finance Authority, Andrews Farm Tax Increment Finance Authority for a partial term through 2009
- Resolution 2006.02/6, Signature Authorization for Buchanan City Accounts Payable
- Resolution 2006.02/7, Signature Authorization for Buchanan City Payroll Account
- Acknowledged withdrawal of tabled resolution for Scheibe's Bar & Grill, LLC to transfer ownership of 2005 Class C Licensed Business with Dance-Entertainment Permit, located at 215 E. Front Street from Brett E. Pointer
- Banner Placement across Redbud Trail for Buchanan Garden Club for "2006 Garden Tour" for 5-26 through 6-12
Glen Carpenter reported on Redbud Area Ministries (RAM) finances, distribution of 35 Christmas boxes including gifts and food, assistance to persons/families in need, and in search of a volunteer assistant in the RAM Office.
Chief Bill Marx was in attendance and distributed his report for the Police Department and Code Enforcement. He presented Officer Carmen Bovo with an Award for Officer of the Year and also recognized Carmen Bovo with an Outstanding Service Award. The Mayor and Commissioners commended Officer Bovo. Chief highlighted the activities within the report and brief discussion was shared about officer visibility downtown on foot or bicycling, citizen contact, Reserve Officers and Citizen Action Program. Chief presented a night vision monocular purchased with Homeland Security funding ($2,500) for the Commission to inspect.
The Commission acknowledged the verbiage change within the Amendment to Code of Ordinances Section 86-Streets, Sidewalks & Other Places, Article III. Sidewalks Section 86-67 Duties To Keep Sidewalk Clean. Reminder of Public Hearing for final adoption on Monday February 27, 2006. Mullendore confirmed publication and complaint driven
Moore moved to appoint Lon McGuire as the Commissioner on the Farmers' Market Board. Scanlon seconded and roll call vote carried unanimous.
After explanation from Mullendore, Arbanas moved seconded by Moore to approve the request for the Budget Amendment & Bid Waiver in the amount of $1,680 to provide labor & materials to install one air dryer, one bypass valve and one PRV station for pneumatic temperature control system at City Hall. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
After explanation from Mullendore, Hagey moved seconded by Moore to enter into the Preventative Maintenance Service Agreement Option II for the pneumatic temperature control system at City Hall for a one year term and pay $164. monthly. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Mullendore explained briefly and discussion followed regarding the bid process and matching existing downtown amenities. McGuire moved seconded by Moore to approve the bid waiver request from the Trail Committee to purchase amenities in the amount of $3,411.14; benches, picnic tables, and waste receptacles to go along the trail along Third Street. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Mullendore explained the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) parcel data through the County Planning Department and discussion shared with Commission. Hagey moved seconded by Moore for the City Manager to follow up with the GIS system from the County in conjunction with the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) and dovetail information that Moore won software at MML Meeting. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Mullendore explained her correspondence with Dan Fette, Acting Director for Berrien County Economic Development with regards to requesting a grant from Berrien County to the Andrews Farm TIFA for $35,000 ($30,000. grant/loan to Express 1 and $5,000. to update the Andrews Farm TIFA Plan). After explanation and discussion Moore moved seconded by Arbanas to authorize Mullendore to endorse the letter on behalf of the City requesting the grant in the amount of $35,000. from Berrien County Economic Development to call a Public Hearing to hear comments on the City's request for the grant. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
- In receipt of a Buy-Sell Agreement for the Teen Center from Roger Lucas. City Commission unable to act on Buy-Sell Agreement per Charter Section 8.7. Commission requested a viable defined plan including where funds are coming from to maintain the building and staff along with a Public Hearing Notice to sell the property. Commission agreed that the Teen Center be an agenda item at the next meeting to deliberate on the outcome.
- Confirmation from the Commission to attend the Art Exhibit of local Artist Shirley Roti-Roti at the Art Center
All Commissioners thanked and complimented former Commissioner Flo King.
- Congratulations to Police Department
- Congratulations Buchanan Wrestlers and Greg Latislaw who is all A student
- Urged support for Art Center classes scheduled.
- Thanks to Staff & Commission for Annual meeting
- Thanks to Chief for the detailed report
- Thanks to Chief for reclaiming the Neighborhood Watch and LEAD Program
- Police Department assured of full support from the Commission
McGuire moved seconded by Moore to go into closed session to review the Minutes from February 1, 2006 Closed Session Meeting, Purchase or lease of real property at 9:40 p.m. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
The Mayor reconvened the meeting at 9:46 p.m. with no action taken during Closed Session.
Hagey moved seconded by Arbanas to approve Closed Session Minutes as reviewed. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Moore moved seconded by McGuire to adjourn the meeting at 9:47 p.m. Voice vote carried unanimous.