April 24 2006 Minutes
CITY OF BUCHANAN COMMISSION MINUTES
APRIL 24, 2006
The Mayor called the public hearing to order at 8:00 p.m. The clerk verified that written comments were not received. The Mayor requested public comments on the property tax millage rate proposed to be levied to support the proposed 2006-2007 Fiscal Year Budget for the City of Buchanan. Being no public comments, the Mayor closed the hearing at 8:04 p.m.
b]The Mayor called the public hearing to order at 8:04 p.m. [/b]The Clerk verified that written comments were not received. The Mayor requested public comments regarding an ordinance amendment for floodplain management provisions. Being no public comments, the Mayor closed the hearing at 8:05 p.m.
A regular meeting of the City Commission was held at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan Monday, April 24 and called to order by Mayor Scanlon at 8:05p.m.
The pledge was recited by all in attendance. No Invocation was heard.
Mayor Scanlon presented Duane Nelson with a Certificate of Recognition Award to United Federal Credit Union for their continuous support and contributions given to the numerous events in the City, especially the Annual Easter Egg Hunt.
The Mayor announced the recognition award to Canteen Services for donating water to the Fire Department.
Commissioners present: Alberta Arbanas, David Hagey, MarLon McGuire, Patricia Moore, Earl Scanlon III
Commissioner absent: none
Staff present included City Manager Meg Mullendore and City Clerk Gladys Bybee
Guests/Visitors present: City Attorney Randy Hyrns
11 visitors, 2 being Press
Stella Proud reported that she met with Judy Phillips, Dial-A-Ride Executive and learned new information regarding tickets to be stamped for rides. Discussion was shared with Commission and Proud.
Hagey moved seconded by Moore to exclude item O. under Consent Calendar as it was previously done before Roll Call. Roll call vote unanimous. Hagey moved, seconded by McGuire to approve the Consent Calendar as amended. Roll call vote unanimous.
- Agenda as amended
- Minutes: Regular Meeting April 10, 2006
- Checks 50055 to 50148 in the amount of $115,632.25
- Arbor Day Celebration, Friday April 28, 2006
- Traffic Control Order #243, placing stop signs at Chicago and Detroit Streets
- Banner Placement Form, Buchanan Chamber of Commerce-Community Wide Garage Sales
- Banner Placement Form, Buchanan Chamber of Commerce-Buchanan Fest
- Call a Public Hearing Monday May 22nd at 8:00 P.M. to hear comments on the Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Service (SMCAS) 2006-2007 fiscal year operating and capital budgets. The clerk confirmed that she would contact Ms. Beach to attend the May 8th meeting.
- Call a Public Hearing Monday May 22nd at 8:00 P.M. to hear comments concerning the sale of public property located at 101 W. Smith Street, Buchanan Michigan
- Street Closure (Oak Street) for Buchanan Fest on Saturday August 26th
- Street Closure (First Street Alley) for Buchanan Fest on Saturday August 26th
- Street Closure (Days Avenue) for Buchanan Fest on Saturday August 26th
- Street Closure (Front Street) for Buchanan Fest on Saturday August 26th
- Street Closure (Roe Street) for Buchanan Fest on Saturday August 26th
- Resolution 2006.04/15, Supporting the Mission Statement (attached)
- Farmers' Market Board Bylaws as recommended by the DDA
Friends of Oakridge Cemetery Chairman Lyle Sumerix introduced Ron Bennett and Mr. Bennett distributed design renderings for the proposed sign listing of burials relocated to Oakridge that were moved from Kathryn Park many years ago. He explained the proposal in detail and discussion was shared.
Sumerix distributed proposed design renderings for the Oakridge entrance on Front Street and explained the proposal to construct the entrance sign. Bob Bachman explained the detailed design for the construction. The possibility to subsidize the proposal through the perpetual care fund was discussed with Hyrns confirming to review the ordinance. The commission took the position to continue the concept for both sign designs as proposed.
After brief clarification from Mullendore, Moore moved, seconded by McGuire to approve the Ordinance Amendment as presented. Ordinance Number 371.04/06, State Construction Code Ordinance for Flood Plain Management provisions amendment of the City of Buchanan.
THE CITY OF BUCHANAN ORDAINS:
Section 3. "DESIGNATION OF REGULATED FLOOD PRONE HAZARD AREAS. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Study (FIS) Entitled Berrien County Michigan (and incorporated areas) and dated April 17, 2006 and the Flood insurance Rate Map(s) (FIRMS) panel number(s) of 26021--0384C, 0403C, and 0405C of 438 and dated April 17, 2006 are adopted by reference and declared to be part of Section 1612.3 of the Michigan Building Code."
Roll call vote unanimous. Ordinance 371.04/06 declared adopted.
Mullendore reported that three bids were received for the water control facility and recommended Abonmarche Consultants as the lowest and responsive bidder. After brief discussion regarding the RFP procedure, McGuire moved, seconded by Arbanas to approve the Professional Engineering Services Agreement to submit notice to proceed to Abonmarche not to exceed $50,000. and submit notice to proceed for Water Control Facility. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Mullendore reported little knowledge of the Southeast Berrien County Landfill Board Authority benefits due to the former temporary City Manager designee appointment. After discussion of the City Manager appointment per the Charter and the city commission representative on that board, Scanlon reported that he could not attend the meetings and thus would request that another commissioner take his place. Hagey moved to end the temporary appointment and specify that the City Manager fill the seat as prescribed by the Charter on the Landfill Authority. Scanlon seconded the motion and discussion was held. Roll call vote carried unanimously. Scanlon confirmed his official resignation from the landfill board. McGuire moved seconded by Scanlon to appoint Jeanne Arbanas as the Commissioner Representative on the Landfill Board. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Mullendore announced a contact/proposal to operate a taxi service within the City with the main business in Berrien Springs. She reported that time was necessary for all to review before offering an amendment. Attorney Hyrns reported that the current code was antiquated and would take some time to update, make user friendly, and could be compatible with State law. After shared discussion of Buchanan Code Section 18, Article II. Taxicabs, Moore moved seconded by Arbanas to pursue an update to the Code regarding Taxicabs. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
After brief explanation from Mullendore to adjust the fee schedule for electrical permits as requested, Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to direct the City Manager to review the electrical contract, request proposals and bring forward for the Commission to consider approval. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Greg Latislaw introduced himself as a Buchanan High School student doing a report.
Mayor Scanlon read the Proclamation for White Cane Week. Arbanas reported $1,500 raised. The Mayor also read the Arbor Day Proclamation and the Resolution supporting the Mission Statement for Buchanan.
- Upcoming events times/dates
- Visit to Victory Park to review vandalism and disarray of garbage. May revisit and request permission to remove the hoops. She urged all to participate in litter cleanup throughout the city.
- Reservation requests to Mayors Exchange necessary
- Distribution of City Manager Straight Talk published in Berrien County Record
- Reiterate City of Buchanan is "Redbud City"
- Recognize National Volunteer Week
- Thank you to uniform service personnel
- Redbud Trees now for sale through the Chamber of Commerce
- Thanks to United Federal Credit Union and Chamber of Commerce for sponsorship of the Easter Egg Hunt
- Historical tour of the Historic District given to native Buchanan person and noted vandalism at the Common and broken bricks at Front/Main
- Sympathy to the family of Al Fisher
- Be prepared for new Stop signs at Chicago and Detroit Streets
- Positive consensus to install the tree grates downtown
- Functions for American Legion to motorcycle riders
- Pursue Signature Building Program Grant. He will forward information.
- Clerk to notify landfill board of resignation from Mayor and City Manager appointment; signed by Mayor
- Thanks to Oakridge Friends for all their volunteer work
- Condolences to the Fisher family
- Condolences to the City of South Bend loss of police officer
- Directed the Manager to contact Mr. King about the Landfill appointment
- Congratulations to Jeanne Arbanas for her work with the Easter Egg Hunt and thanks to all volunteers
- New program, Speak up Buchanan Youth, in Buchanan May 19
McGuire moved seconded by Moore to go into Closed Session to discuss Attorney-Client Privileged Information and Purchase or Lease of Real Property at 9:59 p.m.
The Mayor reconvened the meeting at 10:30 p.m. with no action taken during Closed Session.
McGuire moved seconded by Moore to approve the Closed Session Minutes of 4-10-06 as read in Closed Session. Roll call vote carried unanimous.
Hagey moved seconded by McGuire to adjourn the meeting at 10:33 p.m. Voice vote carried unanimous.