In 1844 1.2 acres were purchased by a few good men for a cemetery at the corners of Fourth and Moccasin Streets. Burials took place into the late 1860's and the area was referred to as the Old Burial Ground. In 1858 the Village of Buchanan was founded (incorporated). In 1868 Oak Ridge Cemetery was developed as the official cemetery for the Village of Buchanan and in 1894 Circuit Court Judge Coolidge ordered the Old Burial Ground vacated at the request of the Village. In 1903 Village maps indicate that Old Burial Ground is now known as Moccasin Park. In 1920 Kathryn Kingery, a private citizen, organized a committee of volunteers to do significant clean up of Moccasin Park to prepare for a playground. She also started a campaign to raise money for play equipment. In 1925 Kathryn's vision was completed with the installation of play equipment and the park was re-named Kathryn Park.
In 1932 the Buchanan Lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Monument was built and in 1941 the Kathryn Park entrance arch was constructed.
Kathryn Park continues to be a place for recreation for adults and children.