>Home >City Services >FAQ's >Q & A: Voting and Elections

Q & A: Voting and Elections


How do I verify my registration information and view my ballot?

To view your registration information and view your ballot, you can go to the Secretary of State Website and fill in the proper information.


What are the requirements to vote?

  • You must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Michigan
  • Must be at least a 30 day resident of the city by election day
  • You must be 18 years of age by Election Day


How do I register to vote?


Where do I vote?

  • The City of Buchanan has two (2) Precincts:
    • #1 is at City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail
    • #2 is at the Redbud City Center, 131 N. Oak Street
  • If you are not sure which precinct is yours, you can look on your voter identification card or call the city clerk at 269-695-3844, ext. 17


I’ve moved, where do I vote?

  • If you’ve recently moved, you must be sure to fill out a registration form for your new precinct.
  • You will receive a new voter registration identification card by mail.
  • If you are unable to do this at least 30 days before the election date, you must vote in your old precinct.
  • If you have moved within the City, you can simply call the City Clerk with your address change information and your file will be updated.
  • When you change your driver’s license at the Secretary of State’s Office, you can change your voter registration as well.


What time are the polls open?

  • Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.


How can I be an Election Inspector?

  • If you are interested in working an election, contact the Clerk’s Office at 269-695-3844, ext. 17 for an application
  • or download an Election Inspector Application and submit it to the Clerk’s office at 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan Michigan 49107 

How do I qualify for an Absent Voter Ballot?

If you are a registered voter of the City AND:

  • Expect to be absent for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
  • Are physically unable to attend the polls without assistance of another
  • Cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion.
  • Have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where you reside
  • Are 60 years of age or older
  • Cannot attend the polls because of confinement in jail awaiting arraignment or trial.


How can I get an absentee ballot?

  • Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and be submitted to the City Clerk.
  • Your request must include one of the six statutory reasons stated above and your signature.
  • You may request an absent voter ballot by downloading an Absentee Ballot Application Form
  • You can obtain a pre-printed application form at the Clerk’s Office.
  • Requests must be submitted to the Clerk no later than 2:00 p.m. the Saturday before the election.
  • Please remember to allow enough time for you to receive the ballot and to return it to the City Clerk’s office by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.