Our mission is to provide safe, dependable transportation for as many people as possible, at a reasonable cost. This is a shared-ride transportation system with specially reduced fares for the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Where does it go?
Buchanan Dial-A-Ride offers service to Buchanan and the surrounding Township area along with daily trips to Niles.
Who Can Use It?
All individuals of any age may use Buchanan Dial-A-Ride. Persons 60 and over and persons with disabilities are eligible to use the service for half the regular fare.
Life-equipped vehicles may transport wheelchair passengers not exceeding a combined weight of 600 pounds (wheelchair, person, and carry-ons).
Reduced fare cards are available through the Dial-A-Ride office at 4676 E. Shawnee Rd. in Berrien Springs, or in the vehicle.
What does it cost?
- In City, including up to one (1) mile outside of City limits:
- Regular (13 years to 59 years) $1.50
- Seniors (60 and older) $0.75
Persons with Disabilities $0.75
- Beyond one (1) miles outside of City limits:
- Regular (13 years to 59 years) $4.00
- Senior (60 and older) $2.00
- Entire Service Area
- Children under one (1) year of age: Free
- Children under 12, accompanied by an adult: Half Fare
- Student attending school activity in Buchanan: $1.00
In addition, Harding's offers free grocery shopping trips for seniors on Wednesdays from 9:00 am to 10:00 am.
What are the Hours?
- Mon-Fri: 7:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Sunday and Holidays: Closed
Monday - Friday:
- Buchanan to Niles: 7:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 4:30 p.m.
- Niles to Buchanan: 7:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 4:45 p.m.
- Buchanan to Niles: 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m.
- Niles to Buchanan: 9:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m
Buchanan - Berrien Springs (please schedule a day in advance)
Monday - Friday:
- Leaves Berrien Springs: 6:40 a.m. and 10:40 a.m.
- Leaves Buchanan: 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Leaves Berrien Springs: 8:40 a.m.
- Leaves Buchanan: 3:00 p.m.
Where to call to schedule a ride
- Local: 697-0600
Things you need to know:
- Buses can come 10 minutes early or 10 minutes later than the scheduled pickup time
- Buses can only wait 2 minutes at each pickup
- Eating, drinking, and/or smoking are not permitted on the bus
- Passengers must practice good hygiene
- Drivers cannot make change
- Passengers must remain seated at all times
- Disruptive behavior may result in refusal of service.
If you miss the bus, or if you cancel your trip less than 15 minutes before your pick-up time, this is considered a no-show. The cost of the missed trip must be paid at the next scheduled ride.
Rules for Riding the Bus and Denial of Service
- Passengers shall not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle
- Passengers will respect the driver's instructions
- Passengers shall not behave in a way that threatens the health or safety of others or that is distracting to the driver
- Loud talking, singing, and playing of music (other than with earbuds) are not allowed
- Possessing, consuming, or being under the influence of illegal or controlled substances is prohibited while riding any DAR vehicle. Consuming or being under the influence of alcohol is also prohibited
- No inappropriate display of affection or sexual activity is allowed
- Hazardous items are not permitted in any DAR vehicle
If a passenger violates one of these rules or has otherwise disrupted the vehicle's operation, DAR's services to that person may be suspended. The individual will be provided a written notice which states the reason(s) for the suspension and provides contact information and guidelines for requesting an appeal.
Buchanan DAR offers origin-to-destination service. We will offer additional assistance (reasonable accommodation) to our customers if needed in order to ensure accessibility for all. This assistance is subject to the following exceptions:
- If the accommodation would cause a direct threat tot he health and safety of others;
- if it would result in a fundamental change in the nature of the service; or
- if it would not actually be necessary in order for a person with a disability to access our services
If you need additional assistance, please contact DAR at 269-697-0600 in advance if possible. Please describe in detail the assistance you require and why it is needed to use our service. DAR will review your request and notify you whether or not your request can be met. If it cannot, we will provide the reason for denial.
If it is not possible to make arrangements in advance, you may ask the driver for additional assistance. The driver may contact the dispatcher for guidance and may or may not be able to grant your request.
Complaints regarding this policy may be directed to ADA Coordinator Kimberly O'Haver at 310 Main St., St. Joseph, MI 49085 or at 269-983-8990.
Weather Closing information:
- AM 940
- AM 1400
- FM 94.9
- FM 103.7
- FM 97.5
- FM 98.3
- FM 107.1
- TV Channels: WNDU 16 and WSBT 22
You may also call our office at 269-697-0600 for more information.
TITLE VI COMPLIANCE NOTICE: As a recipient of federal financial assistance, Buchanan Dial-A- Ride provides public transit services without regard to race, color, or national origin, in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. For more information on Buchanan Dial-A-Ride's Title VI obligations, or if you believe you have been discriminated against for any of the above reasons, you may contact our Title VI Coordinator, Kimberly O'Haver at 310 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085, or at (269) 983-8990 or fax 269-983-4248
Alternatively, an individual may file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration at the following address:
FTA Office of Civil Rights
Attn: Title VI Program Coordinator
East Building, Fifth Floor - TCR
1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E.
Washington, DC 20590
If information is desired in another language, please call (269) 983-8990