The City Clerk is appointed by the City Manager and serves as the Clerk to the City Commission.
The Clerk’s office maintains voter registration records on the State Qualified Voter File, and supervises all City, Local School Districts, State and Federal Elections. All official City records, including the City Charter, Code of Ordinances, Minutes of City Commissions and Boards, Cemetery Records, Employment Personnel Files, Legal Documents, Resolutions, and Policies are maintained by the Clerk’s Office.
Barbara Pitcher is the Clerk for the City of Buchanan. You can Click here to email our City Clerk or she can be reached by phone at 269-695-3844 ext. 17
DUTIES OF THE OFFICE OF THE CITY CLERK INCLUDE:
- Public Records Officer and Records Management of the City
- Freedom of Information Act Coordinator
- Serves as a Point of Contact for the City Commission
- Supports City Commission Meetings
- Serves as Official Recorder of all City Commission Meetings
- Prepares and Publishes Commission Agendas
- Maintains Historical Records and Meeting Minutes
- Records, Certifies and Files Resolutions and Ordinances
- Codifies and Maintains the City of Buchanan Municipal Code
- Responsible Agent for the Official City Seal
- Performs such other duties as may be required by the laws of the State, City Ordinances, or as City Manager may direct
Barbara A Pitcher
Barbara has a broad background in global leadership, organizational development, training and human resources in corporate, nonprofit, small business, postsecondary education and, now, government sectors. She brings all these skills to the role of City Clerk to drive organizational change and operational efficiencies. She holds a BA in Management and Organizational Development and an MA in Organizational Management.
In her free time, Barbara loves to garden and crochet. She shares her life with her husband and two greyhounds.
City Clerk Mission Statement:
“The mission of the City Clerk Department is to serve as the City's source for informational, historical, legislative, and elections services for the community, the public and City agencies and to provide these services in an efficient, effective and friendly manner.”
Did you know you can register to vote online? Click here to register online.
For FAQs About Voting and Voter Registration, please click here.
AUTOMATIC ABSENTEE APPLICATION LIST REQUEST
With the passage of Proposition 3 in November 2018, voters are no longer required to have a reason to obtain an absentee ballot. If you would like additional information regarding Proposition 3 and how it affects you as a voter, please click here.
Current registered voters can apply to be placed on the automatic absentee voter (AV) application list.
To apply, submit the form below or send an email or written request to the clerk's office.
- You only need to apply once. If you are already on the automatic AV application list, no need to re-apply. An application will be sent to you for each election.
- This automatic list is for registered voters in the City of Buchanan only.
- You will remain on the list unless you change your registration address, your voter registration is canceled, or you request to be removed from the automatic AV voter application list.
The form below is NOT an absentee voter ballot application. This is a request to be on the list to receive absentee voter applications automatically by mail.
Important points to remember:
An application for an absentee ballot must be received before a ballot will be issued. We will never automatically send ballots. We will automatically send applications. A dual application may be used for a primary/general election allowing you to apply for both elections with just one application.
- If you wish to vote in person at the precinct and are on the automatic AV application list, disregard the application and don't return it to the clerk's office.
- All absentee ballots are counted for every election.
- Your ballot must arrive at the clerk's office by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day to count.