Home > City Services > City Departments >
City Clerk
The City Clerk is appointed by the City Manager and serves as the clerk to the City Commission.  The Clerk’s office maintains voter registration records on the State Qualified Voter File, and supervises all city, local school districts, state and federal elections. 

All official city records, including the City Charter, Code of Ordinances, Minutes of City Commissions and Boards, cemetery records, employment personnel files, legal documents, resolutions, and policies are maintained by the clerk’s department.

The City Clerk administers the oath of office; is custodian of the City seal; maintains the City Website and maintains the Public Broadcasting Channel.

Gladys Bybee was hired as Administrative Secretary in 1998 and was appointed as City Clerk in 1999. She became a Master Municipal Clerk in 2010 and continues on-going classes at the Michigan Municipal Clerks Institute/Master Clerks Academy.  You may contact Gladys at gbybee@cityofbuchanan.com

What do I have to do to run for the City Commission?

    • You must be 18 years of age, a registered voter and live within the City limits of Buchanan. Nominating Petitions must be circulated and endorsed by a minimum of 6/maximum of 20 registered voters from Buchanan and filed with the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. on the twelfth Tuesday before the August Primary Election. Nominating Petitions can be obtained from the City Clerk. There is a City Election every even year on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November. You must also file an Affidavit of Identity and a Statement of Organization. The Clerk will assist you through this process.

How do I get Information through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?

  •        Click here for the Freedom of Information Act Request Form Submit it to City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, Michigan 49107. The City then has five (5) business days to respond either by providing the information in your request or asking for an extension of time. There is a fee for this process.

Where do I get a Peddler’s/Solicitors License and how much are they?

    • When you are going to be selling door-to-door you must request a License through the City Clerk or from the Chief of Police. Both must sign the Peddlers or Solicitors License. Fees are $6.70 per day, $13.50 per week or $33.50 per month. However, United States Veteran’s (with proof) are exempt from the fee. Click Here for Peddlers or Solicitors License

How does my organization put information on the Public Broadcasting Channel 17?

    • Submit the written information to the City Clerk either in person at City Hall, by mail at City Hall, by fax at 695-4330 or even email at gbybee@cityofbuchanan.com. Information is reviewed for content and may be edited.

Where do I go to transfer grave spaces?

    • The Cemetery Supervisor can assist you with a Deed Transfer at the Cemetery, please call for an appointment at 269-695-3971.  The Clerks Office can also assist with a deed transfer. The cost is $25.00. Call 695-3844, stop by City Hall-302 N. Redbud Trail or email gbybee@cityofbuchanan.com.
    • Click here for Deed Transfer Form and submit it to the Clerks Office. 

Is there a Notary at City Hall?

    • Yes, the Clerk is a Notary and there are other Notary’s at City Hall. The City charges One dollar ($1.00) per signature.

How do I know what’s on a City Commission Meeting Agenda?

    • The Agenda is posted in the cabinet by the entrance to City Hall and the cabinet on the building at the corner of E. Front and Main Streets the Friday before a Monday Meeting (Meetings are the second and fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m.). It is also posted on this website under Agendas & Minutes. The best way is to be involved and come to the meeting as the Commission welcomes all whom attends.


    • The City of Buchanan and its citizens have benefited greatly from the volunteer efforts of many. We urge all citizens of our City to seek out some area in our Community where you can devote a few hours each week. Click here to fill out a Citizen Participation Form or contact City Hall to have one mailed. Citizen Participation Forms must be filed with the City Clerk for processing.  Click here for Citizens Volunteer Form and submit it to the Clerks Office.


    • Meets Second and Fourth Mondays of each month @ 7:00 p.m.


SiteMap. Powered by SimpleUpdates.com © 2002-2017. User Login / Customize.