Questions for the City Clerk
What do I have to do to run for the City Commission?
- You must be 18 years of age, a registered voter and live within the City limits of Buchanan. Nominating Petitions must be circulated and endorsed by a minimum of 6/maximum of 20 registered voters from Buchanan and filed with the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. on the twelfth Tuesday before the August Primary Election. Nominating Petitions can be obtained from the City Clerk. There is a City Election every even year the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November. You must also file an Affidavit of Identity and a Statement of Organization. The Clerk will assist you through this process.
Where do I get a Peddler’s/Solicitors License and how much are they?
- When you are going to be selling door-to-door you must request a License through the City Clerk or from the Chief of Police. Both must sign the Peddlers or Solicitors License. Fees are $6.70 per day, $13.50 per week or $33.50 per month. However, United States Veteran’s (with proof) are exempt from the fee. Click Here for Peddlers or Solicitors License
How does my organization put information on the Public Broadcasting Channel 17?
- Submit the written information to the City Clerk either in person at City Hall, by mail at City Hall, by fax at 695-4330 or even email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information is reviewed for content and may be edited.
Where do I go to transfer grave spaces?
- The Cemetery Supervisor can assist with a Deed Transfer and can be contacted at 269-695-3971 or the Clerks Office can assist you. The cost of a Deed Transfer is $25.00. Call 695-3844, stop by City Hall-302 N. Redbud Trail or email email@example.com
Is there a Notary at City Hall?
- Yes, the Clerk is a Notary and there are other Notary’s at City Hall. The City charges One dollar ($1.00) per signature.
How do I know what’s on a City Commission Meeting Agenda?
- The Agenda is posted in the cabinet by the entrance to City Hall and the kiosk on the building at the corner of E. Front Street and Main Street the Friday before a Monday Meeting (Meetings are the second and fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m.). It is also posted on this website under City Commission-Agendas & Minutes. The best way is to be involved and come to the meeting as the Commission welcomes all whom attends.